First phase of building restoration is underway. Masons from Old World Stonework have been engaged to rebuild the Mill's dry laid, southwest corner pier, and sections of the west and center walls. While most of the Mill's foundation is considered to be in good condition, several areas were singled out by structural engineers as in need of repair. For the past few years, temporary wooden cribbing has been in place to ensure the building's stability. By summer's end, the cribbing should be gone, replaced by sturdily reset stone. Funding for this repair came from a Summer Hill Foundation grant. Great thanks to CME Associates' architect, Lyn Smith, for guiding the bidding process for these repairs, and also to the Mill's building committee, chaired by Myron Stachiw, who with other members George French, Jean McClellan, Leo Morissette, Andy Quigley, and Tony Reed, reviewed bids, checked references, and approved the final selection of replacement stone.
Andy Quigley discusses masonry work with Bill Foskett of Old World Stone Works.
A second significant grant from Summer Hill Foundation received this month will put Chamberlin Mill, Inc. well on its way to completing the second phase of restoration, timber framing repair. The Summer Hill grant will be combined with funds raised by Friends of Chamberlin Mill and other sources for phase two work, expected to begin in early 2016.
Studebaker engine hums again. Repairs are almost complete, and the engine sounds wonderful. Huge thanks to Nate Rosebrooks and the crew of volunteers from Mystic Seaport.
Left: Still River, at Chamberlin Mill, with lower millpond beyond large culverts built following flooding in 1936. The Old Turnpike roadbed crosses over the culverts.